Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Vegan Double-Chocolate Brownie Recipe

Alright kids, buckle up, we're heading for some seriously decadent chocolate goodness for your holiday baking this year.

I've been wanting to do a 'recipe' post for eons now and though I wanted to gear that more towards actual meals, kick-starting it with this luscious dessert is no bad thing.
So recently (as in like, a week ago) my dad, mom sister and I served two nights worth of delicious dining to Hey Rosetta when they were in my home town to do a couple shows. My dad is an excellent cook and can honestly whip up just about anything from any culture you can think of.
The band actually had a number of dietary restrictions, including gluten intolerance and a few lactose intolerant individuals and one vegan.
Naturally taking the wonders that are butter and cream out of a recipe can seem like a shot to the foot but let me tell you this vegan brownie recipe is probably worth risking incarceration or something.

It's good.

Firstly here's the link for the recipe, all credit due to Crazy For Crust. I figured I'd write it out here and add some notes on what I noticed after fiddling with it a bit after a couple times making it.





ingredients:
  • 1/2 a cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 & 1/2 cups of sugar (This is what the recipe calls for BUT let me tell you one cup is plenty and keeps the brownies tasting rich rather than sickly sweet)
  • 1 tbsp. of vanilla 
  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa 
  • About a 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce 
  • 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, melted 
  • 1 tsp. of salt 
  • 1 & 1/2 cups of flour 
  • 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips 
instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Get a long baking pan of your choose, glass or whatever preference and either rub down with butter or cooking spray. I use butter so it wasn't perfectly vegan, if you want to stick to that use a cooking spray
  • Stir together oil and sugar. Stir in vanilla, cocoa, and applesauce. Add melted chocolate and salt, stir until smooth. Slowly stir in flour. Add chocolate chips.    
    ● a note on melting the chocolate, either use a double boiler or do  
    SLOWLY in a microwave, I did it in 10 second increments; any longer and if you don't take the time to stir your chocolate will burn and let me tell you that's really just...gross.   
    ● And yes, do throw in that much salt, you didn't use any butter or whatnot so do keep to that amount
  • Pour into prepared pan and bake 25-28 minutes. (I would try 25 minutes first, it tends to be just right). It'll seem a little "un-set" when you take it out, so let it set/cool for a bit before cutting. 
When you're stirring everything together your 'dough' is going to seem very dry and thick, this is okay. It's not going to be nice and pour easily into your pan, use your clean hands and kind of pat it. in and down.

Behold the final decadence. 



I suggest finding a good raspberry or strawberry coulis recipe to serve with this.

Let me know if you try this out! Would you like to see more recipes?
r.

No comments:

Post a Comment