Monday, August 25, 2014

Musical Mondays: Billie Holiday

If anyone knows me, they know I have a huge affinity for all things music related. I've been performing for about 4 years now, with a variety of shows under my belt. Full band stuff and/or  acoustic sets (with my trusty rosewood Seagull) doing both covers of artists I love and tribute shows as well. So, I figured it was only appropriate for me to blog about my wide-ranging and eclectic taste in music. It always helps as a performer to be familiar with lots of different genres and in my case I just happen to like a lot of different music in any case!
So to kick things off since I'm in a jazzy mood, I'm bringing in the big guns with Billie Holiday. Funnily enough, though I've been a huge fan of her music since forever and an age I've performed her music.

Actually, not all that surprising since I haven't gotten to work with a good jazz band/pianist in a long time. Anyways, Ms. Lady Day has this amazing throaty, rasping vocals that suit the more morose side of the jazz in the best possible way. Though she did record some lovely renditions of more upbeat jazz standards.

I first found her through the the Audrey Tautou Chanel No°5 ad, where her track of "I'm a Fool to Want You" was playing. I'd never heard her before then and was absolutely enchanted by it. She had a rough childhood and was also a rape victim and prostitute ($5 a client if anyone was interested) so clearly in singing some of these songs she was drawing from a very real, raw, emotional place. 
Her discography totals at 12 studio albums, 3 live albums, 24 compilations and one box set. She's easily sung hundreds of covers and it was hard pressed for me to pick a few favorites. But I'll try. 


indisputable favourites

1. Stormy Weather 

2. I'm a Fool to Want You
3. God Bless the Child
4. Strange Fruit
5. Gloomy Sunday 
6. The Way You Look Tonight

7. I Wished On the Moon

8. Gee, Baby Ain't I good to You?
9. You've Changed
10. You Don't Know What Love Is
11.  Violets for Your Furs
12. Pennies From Heaven

These are just the ones I forced myself to pick, I love pretty much every track I hear her sing. Her stuff is actually my favorite music to listen to when I'm getting all dolled up and fancy because it makes me feel like a 40's starlet. I don't even care. She was a striking women herself who had her brow game on lock before anyone else even knew what it was. And her penchant for wearing a white dahlia in her coiffed hair was the loveliest.   

I'm probably going to end up giving other jazz artists some honorable mentions (Miles Davis or Chet Baker anyone?) but I decided she deserved my first go in this weekly series!

So, heard of Ms. Holiday before? Took a listen to any of her stuff? Love it or not? Let me know what you think!
r.

No comments:

Post a Comment