Monday, August 18, 2014

september resolutions

Image credit: Tumblr
As the start of classes draw closer (a mere 17 days to go!) I find myself ruminating more and more on what sort of things I would like my second year back to university to be. Of course, there's a lot of long term objectives in that, but in terms of the more attainable sphere of things I've decided to compile a list of resolutions for my first month of "back-to-school". Side note, that feeling never gets old does it?

1. Make time for reading 


I'm that person who'll be on her death bed looking at the stack of books next to her going "I'll get there." I used to be a very voracious book-worm, especially when I was younger. We're talking a book a day here. But my admitted addiction to social media and university workload combined has me halfheartedly attempting to start/finish novels. I find by the time I have any down-time at all, I'm too exhausted to put in the brainpower to read. But for September I would like to allot a half hour before I go to sleep to crack at whatever book is on my plate. I get to unwind from screen-time before sleep and actually finish books.

2. Get to the gym on the regular 


I actually love working out. Getting my sweat on is my favorite way to burn off steam when things get stressful.  However I find that, especially when I'm back at school, I'm a slacker when it comes to actually getting my butt there. My schedule for the fall semester has breaks from 11:00 to 2:00 Monday through Friday so that's a perfect niche to fit in some cardio and weight training at the campus gym. As well as lunch before my last classes of the day. Committing to such a schedule will be good for both my brain and body.

3. Get organized and stay that way

Due to a number of factors ('culture'-shock and slacking being a couple of them) my first year at uni didn't go quite the way I wanted and, as a result, my marks suffered a bit. Part of that being I didn't keep on top of my due dates for exams, papers, etc. and prep accordingly. Armed with my Filofax (scarlet Domino, if you were curious) and it's new inserts, mountain of sticky notes, and assortment of pens, I intend to implement a proper study schedule to keep ahead of my readings and work. Luck does favor the prepared.

4. Be more aware of my spending 

I'm far from broke, but, I'm a student, so I'm not exactly rich either. I also didn't exactly run myself into the ground my first year, but there were a couple tight moments so my second year back I intend to track where my money goes a lot more. Which means (beyond my initial back to school necessities), no buying over-priced campus coffee, or the food there for that matter (which actually tastes like sadness and cardboard), budgeting my weekly grocery allowance a bit more, and no impulse buying. That way I can splurge out on a fancy date with my boyfriend, or a good quality piece that will actually last in my wardrobe.

5. Document more
I actually want to make a point of using my nifty little Canon Elph and catalog more of my day to day life. Not only so I will actually have photographic memories of all I do this year coming, but it'll be a positive force in my life to see what lovely things I can find to take photos of.  I'd also like to get back to keeping a daily journal. I started so with vigor at the beginning of the summer but by mid-July I'd stopped but I find it clears out space in my brain to have a judgement-free space to talk about my life.


So lovelies, that's pretty much it! Do you have any particular goals or resolutions for September? 
r.

No comments:

Post a Comment